Te Kawerau ā Maki
On 7 June 2008, Te Kawerau ā Maki kaumātua met and resolved to establish a new tribal entity to negotiate and settle all Te Kawerau ā Maki Treaty claims.
Te Kawerau Iwi Tribal Authority was established on 13 July 2008. Trustees were appointed to represent the Te Kawerau ā Maki people in all matters relating to Iwi matters.
Te Kawerau Iwi Tribal Authority was incorporated under the Charitable Trusts Act 1957 on 21 July 2008.
The principal purpose of Te Kawerau Iwi Tribal Authority is to benefit the people of Te Kawerau ā Maki.
Te Kawerau Iwi Tribal Authority is the only iwi authority in existence dealing specifically with the interests of Te Kawerau ā Maki on cultural, social, political, economic and Treaty matters.
Te Kawerau Iwi Tribal Authority Board is a Charitable Trust.
On 29 June 2018, Auckland Council’s Finance and Performance Committee voted to transfer a 2.6-hectare block of land to Te Kawerau ā Maki for the construction of a marae and papakāinga at Bethells Road, Te Henga.
The decision was a significant milestone for Te Kawerau ā Maki. Until that point, we were the only mana whenua iwi in Auckland without a marae. The Waitākere Ranges Heritage Area Act acknowledges Te Kawerau ā Maki (alongside Ngāti Whātua) as tangata whenua of the heritage area.
The transfer of the land fulfilled a partnership agreement made between the iwi and Waitākere City Council a decade ago. Te Henga was identified as the preferred marae site in 1995 as it was near our ancestral village at Waiti.
The land was initially purchased by council in 2009, but iwi rejected the option of occupying it by lease.
Disclaimer: This website has been developed by Te Kawerau ā Maki and includes korero from Auckland iwi advocate Pita Turei. Pita has researched Ihumātao extensively, and is an activist, historian, and story-teller. The authors acknowledge many iwi and hapū have whakapapa to this whenua – this website is only one of their stories.